Joseph P. Veasey Award
Your Subtitle text

About Joe Veasey

While preparing to begin his senior year in the MU Architecture program, Joe was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) and admitted to the Cleveland Clinic August 1, 2006 where he began chemotherapy immediately.  His siblings were tested as bone marrow donors.  His youngest sister Mary Rose was a match.  After it was determined the chemotherapy was not working, Joe received Mary Rose’s bone marrow on September 8, 2006 and the waiting began.  By the end of September the doctors did not see the results they had hoped for, so they told Joe there was nothing more they could do and that he could go home, do what he could and they would continue to monitor him.  It was unsure but Joe could only have months maybe even weeks left to live.

It was during this time that Joe wanted to establish some kind of assistance for an architercture student based on their work and service in the MU Architecture program.  With the help of MU Architecture Department chair John Weigand and Joe’s cousin, Father Mike Ausperk, Joe developed the criteria for the award which would be given at the Architecture show.  Through October and November, Joe began to feel stronger.  On December 8, 2006, Joe traveled to Miami University to attend the Winter Show and was able to personally present the first Joseph P. Veasey Award to Bret Roeth.  While on his way to Miami that day, Joe received a call from his oncologist that blood and bone marrow test results showed that he was in remission.  Thankfully, Mary Rose’s bone marrow had begun working a little later and slower than the doctors expected.

Joe began immediately to make plans to return to school and continue his architecture education.  Because of his compromised immune system and post-chemo after-effects, his doctors wanted him to stay close by as the second semester began.  Joe conitnued to study, be in touch with his professors and made a couple of visits to Miami.  During this time, Joe had to visit the Cleveland Clinic a couple of times a week for blood work and other tests.

In late July and early August, 2007 Joe began to feel things weren't right.  Further tests revealed that AML had returned.  Another bone marrow transplant was not possible.  Some drug treatments were attempted but to no avail.  It was eventually determined nothing more could be done and Joe was placed on hospice care at home.  He continued to stay in touch with friends and professors as much as he could.

On Sunday, November 18, 2007, in the basement of 1244 Plainfield, near his mom and his computer, Joe peacefully passed away.  Now free of cancer, chemo and tests, Joe entered eternal life and paradise with God and all the saints forever.  On Friday, November 23 (the day after Thanksgiving) family and friends gathered in Joe's memory at Saint Margaret Mary Church in South Euclid, Ohio.  A Mass of Christian Burial and Joe's life were celebrated on Saturday, November 24.  Joe's cousin Fr. Mike Ausperk presided and delivered the homily; his dad Jack and sister Mary Rose offered reflections of Joe's life.  Joe's body rests at All Souls Cemetery in Chardon, Ohio.

Joe's wish and dream was that an award for a Miami University architecture student be established and offered annually in his name and memory.  Joe's family and friends have funded the award with gratitude to see Joe's wish and dream fulfilled

Website Builder